Saturday, August 18, 2012

Berry Breakfast Cake


Cake for breakfast?!Mmmm Hmmm! Yes, Please!

You know me, definitely a dessert girl, especially when it comes to breakfast! Crepes! Waffles! Muffins! Yum! I discovered this gem of a recipe on Pinterest, where else? And tried it out on the in-laws :) They were happy to be experimented on, especially my father-in-law. The recipe from Pinterest calls for 2 cups of blueberries. I didn't have enough, but I had strawberries, raspberries and blackberries. Go figure, right? So I improvised and used an assortment, and I may have added another cup, or so, of them.

Preheat oven to 350, grease 9'' square baking pan
Toss 2, ahem, 3 cups of berries w/ 1/4 cup of flour. You can use fresh or frozen, I've used both, there's not a difference.

Cream together:
1/2 cup butter
2 tsp lemon zest
1 cup of sugar

Add:
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

In a separate bowl, whisk:
1 & 3/4 cups of flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Add flour mixture and 1/2 cup buttermilk, alternately, to butter/sugar mixture until combined. Fold in berries (don't add in left over berry flour). Pour into baking dish. Sprinkle 1T sugar on top.

Bake for 35 minutes, or so, until golden brown. Eat, immediately, before everyone else is out of bed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment