Saturday, August 18, 2012

Overnight Blueberry French Toast

Gosh, I love Pinterest. Seriously, how on earth did I ever survive without it?! Thank you Heather, for introducing me to the greatest time consuming, yet, most rewarding website ever. And I do mean EVER!

Side note: Today I discovered Swagbucks. Now my days are really shot. My poor neglected children.

I discovered this delicious dessert breakfast recipe last week as I was preparing for my cousin's visit. I needed something that I could prepare ahead of time, and was easy enough to trust the husband to tend, in case I got stuck at the airport, which I did, so success!

The picture does not do this yummy french toast justice. But I got distracted by the smell and once I tasted the topping, all bets were off...


The Overnight Part:
12 slices day old bread, cut into 1 inch cubes. I used a whole loaf of store bought french bread, which according to the recipe is too much bread, but I wanted my pan covered and full.
2 (8 oz) packages of cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes.
1 cup fresh blueberries

Arrange half the bread cubes in the dish, top with cream cheese cubes. Sprinkle 1 cup blueberries over the cream cheese (I used more like 1 & 1/2 cups, I had 2 pints and needed to use them up) Top with remaining bread cubes.

In a large bowl, mix 12 beaten eggs, 2 cups of milk, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1/3 cup maple syrup.Pour over bread cubes and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning... remove pan from fridge 30 minutes prior to baking. Preheat oven to 350. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking 25-30 minutes until center is firm and surface is lightly browned.

In a medium saucepan, mix 1 cup white sugar, 2T cornstarch and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, cook 3-4 minutes. Mix in 1 cup blueberries. (So total you need 2 cups of berries, or more, if you're like me and really like blueberries) Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, until blueberries burst. Stir in 1T of butter, and pour over the baked French toast. (Let sauce pan cool completely and lick clean)

1 comment:

  1. I am totally going to make that really really soon. Looks amazing! Oh and the beginning of your post confirmed why I need to stay far far far away from Pinterest! :)

    ReplyDelete