Monday, February 20, 2012

Lemon Blueberry Trifle



Lemon Blueberry Trifle
1 frozen prepared pound cake (16 oz) (I can never find this size, the Sara Lee cakes are something around 10 oz, so I get 2, and use everything I don't snack on)
2 lemons
1 & 1/2 cups milk
8 oz. sour cream
8 oz. cool whip
2 pkgs. (3.4 oz each) lemon instant pudding
1 pint fresh blueberries (2 cups), washed
1 square (1 oz) white chocolate for baking (I hardly have white chocolate on hand so I usually omit this)

Cut pound cake into 1-in cubes; place in bowl. (I think it's easier to cut the cake when still frozen)
Make several lengthwise scores in one lemon, top to bottom. Slice into 6 slices; cut each slice in half, set aside for garnish. (I score my lemons, but you really don't have to. It hardly shows up)
Zest remaining lemon using short strokes; set aside.
Juice lemon over pound cake, tossing gently.
In a bowl combine milk, sour cream, half of the cool whip and reserved lemon zest; whisk until smooth.
Add pudding mixes; whisk until mixture begins to thicken.
Set aside 12 blueberries for garnish.

To assemble trifle: Place 1/3 of the cake cubes into bottom of trifle bowl, top with 1/3 of blueberries, grate 1/4 of the chocolate over blueberries, top with 1/3 of pudding mixture, pressing lightly. Repeat layers 2 more times.
Decorate top with cool whip, lemon slices, blueberries and remaining chocolate as desired.



Like most everything I make, I prepare this the night before so all the flavors have a chance to soak in, but you could serve this right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment