Saturday, January 21, 2012

Becoming Domesticated One Project at a Time

I am by no means a crafty person. I do not recover furniture. I don't know how to use a hot glue gun. I have never spray painted. I don't scrapbook, and I do not anticipate I ever will. My skills with a hammer are minimal, at best. But ever since I stumbled upon Pinterest I have become somewhat obsessed. It started with a wanting a sewing machine for Christmas... My mom told me, "Rachel, I'm not your Santa anymore. You need to tell Frank." A lot of good that would do. Then Christmas morning I got a surprise... A Singer! (From my momma) There was only one slight problem, I didn't know how to sew. I can hand stitch enough to get by and I can sew on buttons, my skills were limited to that. Thus began the past 2 week journey of learning how to thread my machine, thread a bobbin and so on. I visited the local fabric store and I have never been so lost. After wandering the store for more than an hour, I emerged with 4 scrap pieces of fabric, 3 spools of thread and an angry toddler... She was mine to begin with. Turns out my fabric was enough to make a purse for me and Kay (said toddler). Another visit back to the fabric store, with mom in tow, resulted in material for handles and some buttons. I got my pattern from Pinterest. Although, I altered the pattern and made my purse bigger. Because face it, purses are never big enough. I finished my purse before my trip to Texas, I wanted to surprise Frank, he had no idea I was using my machine, let alone that it was out of the box. He was beside himself, "what do you mean, you made it?" "I know you bought this, where'd you get it, and how much did it cost me..." And so on. This morning I finished Kay's purse. And here are the results...


Here is where I got the pattern and instructions... 

My purse has two pockets, because I'm a bit obsessed with organization, and Kay's has one. I also put a magnetic snap type thing in mine.


Next sewing project will be an ECU (my Alma Mater) T-shirt quilt...

1 comment:

  1. Rachel- you are so stinkin crafty that it's ridiculous. Charlotte and I request matching purses too. I'm serious! You are so talented. Enjoy this new hobby! I love Frank's reaction too!

    ReplyDelete