Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Deluxe Cheeseburger Salad


Yea, sounds a bit beyond weird, right? I was skeptical the first time I had this salad at a Pampered Chef training event. But it's soooo good. It's been a little while since I made this last, but was organizing pictures last night, and found this one. This is pretty popular when Frank is back on the low carb diet, I just eat his croutons.

Deluxe Cheesburger Salad
4 sesame seed hamburger bun tops - I usually use the bottoms too... I love all toasted bread, so...
1 small red onion, divided
2 plum tomatoes
3/4 pound ground beef - I use a whole pound, or whole package.
1/2 cup sliced dill pickles -  If I feel lazy, which is almost always, I use relish.
3/4 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. yellow mustard
8 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce - I use spinach, or mixed greens.
1 cup (ha!) shredded cheddar cheese - You can never have enough cheese.

I don't measure when I make this recipe... I just mix and taste. I love mustard and don't really like ketchup, so adjust according to your preferences. The above measurements are from Pampered Chef.

Preheat over to 425. Slice bun tops into 1/4 inch strips, arrange a single layer on baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes until lightly toasted. Remove from oven and cool.
Cut onion in half crosswise; slice one half of onion into thin rings, dice remaining half. Set aside.
Cut tomatoes lengthwise into quarters and slice crosswise. Set aside.
Cook beef until no longer pink.
Dice pickles, or use relish. ;)
Combine chopped onion, pickles (relish), ketchup and mustard. Add cooked beef, mix well.
Assemble as pictured. I assemble on individual plates. That way I can store any leftover lettuce and beef mixture separate, in case I want to eat the beef mixture hot. Frank likes to eat the leftover salad cold, so I make his containers with meat.

1 comment:

  1. That looks amazing!!!!!! Maybe we should make that on Friday! My mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete