Friday, January 20, 2012

The. Brownie Trifle




1 pkg. (18.25) brownie mix - it makes a difference. Get the right size!
ingredients for brownies... you need 2 eggs, oil and water for the Betty Crocker mix.
3 tsp. instant coffee granules
1 & 3/4 cups cold milk
2 cups cool whip, thawed
2 pkgs. white chocolate instant pudding and pie filling (This is a challenge, I can only ever find the sugar free white chocolate pudding, and I never buy sugar free, because what would be the point of having a sugar free dessert? You can use cheesecake, vanilla, chocolate... Whatever your heart desires...)
3 toffee bars
1/4 cup warm water

I always take this dessert somewhere, so I always make a double batch. I do this for 2 reasons.
1. A full batch doesn't quite fill my trifle bowl, and kind of looks like I'm bringing a half finished dessert.
and 2. I like to have leftovers. And if you take this dessert somewhere, the chances of you bringing some home are not good.

So I use about a batch and a half for the party and layer up the rest for my family. :) It's a win-win.

Bake brownies according to package in a 9x13. Use cake-like directions.
Cool completely.
Dissolve coffee granules in warm water.
Whisk milk into pudding mix until mixture begins to thicken. Add coffee to pudding, mix well.
Fold in cool whip. I use the whole container.
Why? 1. It's ridiculous to measure 2 cups out. It's close enough. and 2. You can never have too much cool whip.
Cut brownies into 1 inch cubes. I'm very particular about my layers, so I section the pan off for my 3 layers.
Chop toffee bars. I do this one at a time, so I know how much to use on each layer.
Layer 1/3 of brownie cubes onto bottom of trifle bowl.
Top with 1/3 of pudding, pressing lightly, and 1/3 of toffee bars. If you're like me, 1 bar.
And. Repeat. Then repeat again.
Chill 30 minutes.

The longer it sits, the better. I usually make this first thing in the morning for an evening event. I would do it the night before but the later it gets, the lazier I get.

Enjoy :)

1 comment:

  1. It was so delicious!!! Please quadrupole next time so I can eat even more! :)

    ReplyDelete